Paul D. Coverdell Fellows Program

Peace Corps Volunteers

Peace Corps Volunteer

The Paul D. Coverdell Fellows Program is a graduate fellowship program that allows Returned Peace Corps Volunteers (RPCVs) to apply their international experience and global informal educational practices to their own educational advancement in an underserved US-Mexico border community. RPCVs provide valuable knowledge and skillsets to NMSU through their ability to adapt to new cultures, thrive in new and challenging work situations, and create and maintain projects with limited resources.

Dependent upon acceptance into the university, Fellows may receive a graduate assistantship which is a paid position, where the student has the opportunity to work as a Research or Teaching Assistant, directly under the supervision of faculty within the department. This also qualifies the Fellow for in-state tuition and low-cost health insurance. A detailed description of a graduate assistant can be found here:

NMSU hosts two colleges that offer the Fellows Program: the College of Health and Social Services (CHSS) and the College of Agricultural, Consumer, and Environmental Sciences (ACES). Through CHSS, Fellows have the option to pursue one of four programs: Public Health (MPH), Social Work (MSW), Social Work/Public Health (MSW/MPH), or Nursing (MSN). For degree options in ACES, additional information can be found here:

Requirements to Become a Fellow:

  • Completion of Peace Corps service as documented with a submitted Description of Service (DOS) document
  • Admission into NMSU, the Graduate School, and the graduate program for which they are applying

Application Process:

  1. Contact projected graduate program department and NMSU Peace Corps Program Coordinator (Dr. Sue Forster-Cox in CHSS or Dr. Mick O’Neill or Dr. Rich Pratt in ACES) to receive essential application information.
  2. Apply for admission to New Mexico State University via the online application.
  3. Apply for admission to the Graduate School Department for the degree you are seeking.

Contact Information:

  • CHSS: Dr. Forster-Cox (Colombia ’77-’79) at or (575) 646-2183
  • ACES: Dr. O’Neill (Ghana ’71-’72, Burkina Faso ’72-’74) at or (575) 960-7757 or Dr. Mark Uchanski at or (575) 646-1914.




Translate »