NMSU is offering mini-grants for faculty who participate in the Writing-to-Learn program. In this program faculty will learn to incorporate informal writing as a tool to enhance undergraduate student knowledge about and understanding of course content. Up to 6 mini-grants will be awarded in the amount of $3,000 each.
The goals of the program are to 1) use writing to increase student learning in the discipline, 2) increase the amount of short, informal writing students do, and 3) improve student writing in the disciplines.
The Writing-to-Learn program and provision of mini-grants are provided in support ofNMSU’s Quality Initiative focus on student writing. The Quality Initiative is part of our institutional participation in the Higher Learning Commission’s Open Pathways for reaccreditation.
· Will be accepted from full- and part-time faculty teaching undergraduate courses at the NMSU-Las Cruces and/or Grants campuses (NMSU Las Cruces campus and Grants campus are accredited as one entity; other NMSU campuses are independently accredited).
· Can be downloaded here.
· Are due MONDAY, JUNE 13, 2016.
· Should be submitted to the Teaching Academy Advisory Board as pdf attachments at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mini-Grant Awardees Will Receive
· Mentoring from writing experts over the course of the 2016-2017 academic year
· 3 payments of $1,000 each for achieving certain benchmarks
Mini-Grant Awardees Will Be Required to
· YEAR 1: Participate in 2 individual and 6 monthly group meetings with writing mentors; complete assigned activities to develop a plan to incorporate writing-to-learn into the proposed designated course, and to assess impact of changes on student learning – Grant recipients who are able to attend both individual meetings and 5/6 group meetings will receive the 1st payment of $1,000. Note: The group meetings will occur from 11-1pm on the 2nd Wednesday of the months of Sept., Oct., Nov., Feb., Mar., Apr. (2016-17) in Clara Belle Williams Hall Rm 138 (inside the English Department office).
· YEAR 2: Participate in one cohort meeting each semester; incorporate informal writing into the designated course; and report on implementation and impact (reports will be submitted online using the reporting template found on the Writing to Learn webpage, no later than May 30 of each year. Please note – there is no penalty for unsuccessful findings!) – Grant recipients who attend both meetings and submit a complete report will receive the 2nd payment of $1,000.
· YEAR 3 (optional to complete in Year 2): Participate in one cohort meeting each semester (unless you complete requirements in year 2); present your work at the NMSU Teaching Academy* (TA) AND at the New Mexico Higher Education Assessment & Retention** (NMHEAR) annual conference [Feb. of each year, expenses paid] – Grant recipients who attend meetings and present at both the TA and NMHEAR will receive the 3rd payment of $1,000.
*Presentations at NMSU Teaching Academy may be individual or panel presentations. Not all participants can do individual presentations. All TA presentations must be arranged through and approved by TA staff. Presentations by W2L cohort members will be initiated by the Office of Accreditation upon receipt of the Year 2 Report.
**Applications to present at NMHEAR must be submitted directly to NMHEAR through the NMHEAR website, and must be selected by the NMHEAR planning committee to present at the annual conference. Travel expenses covered by the grant include hotel, registration for the general session, mileage and per diem. For more information on the conference and on the proposal submission procedure, go to http://nmhear.nmsu.edu/. Cohort members are responsible for submitting proposals for the conference (deadline is usually mid-November), registering for the conference, and making travel arrangements. Detailed instruction for travel reimbursement will be distributed by the Office of Accreditation prior to the conference, and requests for reimbursement must be received no later than March 15.
The Teaching Academy MSC 3TA
New Mexico State University
P. O. Box 30001
Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001
7 575-646-1330 (fax)